Wednesday 8 November 2017

Painted hippie T-shirt


Last month we were invited to a hippie costume party. We needed costumes! I was lucky to be able to borrow a dress from a colleague, but what about my boyfriend's costume? I made a pretty cool T-shirt and some hippie jeans for him. Here's how I made the T-shirt.

What you need


1 plain white T-shirt ( I bought the cheapest one I could get.) Some paint in happy colours. I used different kind of paint for this. I tend to buy test colour cans from my DIY store, so some of them are interior paint, and some exterior, but it worked out really well, I think. A thin paintbrush, rubber band, a pencil, and a big bowl to draw a ring to help you with the pattern. 1 piece of wood or styrofoam, or cardboard to put inside the t-shirt to keep it straight, and to prevent the paint from bleeding into the back side.


How you do it

Put the piece of wood/styrofoam/cardboard inside the t-shirt, and tighten it by using a rubber band on the backside, like this:

Then use a big bowl (Mine is 26 cm in diameter.) and a pencil, and draw a ring in the middle of the front of the t-shirt. Use the pencil to draw a spiral towards the center of the ring.
Then you can start painting the first colour. I used quick, short brush strokes towards the drawn line. Started in the middle, and worked my way outwards. When the first colour is dry, you can do the second, then the third and the fourth, until you have filled the circle with colour. I chose to paint in this sequence: Dark Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, which made the yellow and the red most visible, and I wanted the brightest colours to show the most.
Make sure your paint cover the pencil marks!
When all the colours have dried up, you may write the text. I used white paint for that, and painted by free hand. But I'm sure you may find text online that is usable as a template, if you prefer that. I just thought that the hippies were all happy and non-material, and made things themselves.. Hehe 😀




No comments:

Post a Comment